Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Old Wise Woman

The Old Wise Woman  Susan McClellan

There once was an old wise woman who was walking in the mountains when she came across a shallow stream. While looking into the stream she picked up a beautiful precious stone which she dried on her old dress and placed in her bag.
The next day she met a fellow traveller, who was hungry and the woman opened her bag to share her food. The hungry traveller saw the precious stone in her bag, admired it and asked the wise woman if she would give it to him. The wise old woman gave it to him without hesitation. The traveller left, rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew the jewel was worth enough to give him security for the rest of his life.
A few days later he came back searching for  the wise woman. When he found her, he returned the stone and said ..

I have been thinking. I know how valuable this stone is, but I want to give it back to you in the hope that you can give me something far more precious.
If you can give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me the stone.
Author Unknown

1 comment:

Shaz said...

Theres very profound lesson in this and I think I've met this wise woman. She is my friend.